Case Types allow you to give structure to your cases and do a lot of the setup for redundant tasks that every case requires.
Defining a Case Type is basically creating a list of steps that can be checked off as the case progresses. It’s like a glorified pre-defined task list.
To start, navigate to the
Manage Case Types
Think about the various types of cases that your firm handles. You may have categories and subcategories. For example, you might handle criminal cases, but you could break these criminal cases up into Criminal – Misdemeanor and Criminal – Felony. Create a list of your various case types and you’ll want to create a
Case Type for each of your subcategories.
Enter a name for your first
Case Type and then click on Create.
You can edit your
Case Types by clicking on them from the left column. Once selected you can create a new one by clicking on Create New.
You can modify the name of the name of the
Case Type by clicking on the Pencil Icon. You can remove the Case Type by clicking on the Trash Can Icon. Note: Because of the high relationship of Case Types with other parts of the system, your deleted
Case Types will be archived and you may still see them in reports where they are tied to old cases.
Alright, now that you’ve created your first Case Type it’s time to start laying it out. As mentioned already, Case Types are simply a collection of steps that will be checked off as they are completed. Let’s create our first
Click on Create Step.
You will be presented with a box to give your step a title and give additional information on the step.
Click on Create.
You will see that a step has been created.
To create another top-level step, click on Create Step.
To create a sub-step click on Plus List icon.
That will allow you to create children (sub) steps of any step.
To learn about the other options in more depth you can visit the Notes and Steps knowledge base.
Any options you set on a step (Assignments, Ticklers, Emails, Files) will be copied over when you create a case of your case type.
Let’s quickly look at the other options:
- Navigation Arrows – Reorder Steps
- Plus Person – Assign a user or client to the step. They will be notified by email that they have something to complete.
- Pencil – Modify the title and description of the step
- Bell – Create a tickler to send a reminder to complete the step. If someone is assigned to the step, they will be notified. If not, then the person assigned to the case will be notified. If no one is assigned to the case, the person who created the case will be notified.
- Up Arrows – Attach files to the step
- Envelope – Create an email to attach to the step. Creating emails now allow single click to send emails in the future.
- List Plus – Create a sub-step (child).
- Trash Can – Delete the step.
Once you have created a Case Type, you can then create forms and specify to attach those forms to your specific case types.
Now that you have setup your Case Type you can open a client’s file and create a new case. When creating a new case you’ll be able select the Case Type. Everything you created on your Case Type, will be copied over to your new case!
Also, any ticklers you created will be put in the queue and started up.